Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Makeup Talk: Nothing New?

If you're anywhere close to my age (63), you know perfectly well that there's nothing new under the sun. That's not exactly 100% true; there are all kinds of 'not new' things coming out all the time! 

Liquid lipstick for example. It's really quite the rage now and has been for at least the last year or so. It's been so hyped on YouTube, it seems every cosmetic company has come out with them, or are bringing out new formulas and colors all the time. 


But I had liquid lipstick twenty years ago! My favorites were from Clinique and Prescriptives. 



(Let's observe a moment of silence to honor the late, great, beloved Prescriptives...) 

Regardless of the brand, they all smelled odd and were extremely drying on the lips. Plus, they went 'off' or rancid a lot quicker than regular lipstick or gloss. Sound familiar? Granted, the newer formulas are much better and more comfortable according to the reviewers.



Yep, had some of these, too.

Back in the seventies, I had a Revlon Blush-On (remember that?) in a shade called Frosty. I never ever wore it; it was just pretty in the compact. The whole thing simply confused me! I mean, we were always being cautioned to keep the shine off our faces, right? And here was this 'blush' in a faintly pink, off white sparkly shade! I think I put it on once. And promptly washed it off.



Revlon 'Frosty' Blush-On 
What exactly was one supposed to do with this?? I kept it for years and finally tossed it. Then lo, and behold, some time later I found it again in a dusty old drugstore somewhere (they obviously didn't update their inventory too often)! Silly me, I bought it again, for nostalgia's sake. Again, I kept it for years and eventually tossed it...again. I'm weird that way, what can I say? Some people love antiques; I like 'antique' makeup...

Back in the day, Max Factor, L'Oreal and Revlon put out themed or seasonal collections all the time (gee, I wish they still did!). In 1999, Max released some products, including a shimmery Panstick, inspired by the Michelle Pfeiffer movie, A Midsummer Night's Dream. One of the nail colors and the shimmer stick were called Cobweb. Both of these were a sheer, silvery white, with a tasteful smattering of micro glitter. Seriously fairy-like! I loved them! Wore the nail color quite a bit, but never put the stick makeup on my face. I'd smear it on the back of my hand and admire it, but it never touched my face. 



Bottom:  Max Factor 'Cobweb' Shimmer Panstick 

So, yes, highlighters have been around a long time, too. It was just that some us had no clue how to wear them! YouTube didn't launch until 2005, so there was no giant community of beauty mavens and makeup artists to show us how. 


Let's talk about nude makeup. Sorry if this bursts anyone's bubble, but Urban Decay was NOT the first to 'get Naked'.  The birth of natural, neutral, nude makeup was the brainchild of the late, great artist Kevyn Aucoin. In the eighties, beginning with a line from Revlon, color cosmetics were finally developed based on all skin tones. This concept was quickly transferred to Revlon's premier line, Ultima II, and expanded into The New Nakeds (later renamed just The Nakeds). This genius concept has inspired and influenced many brands in the decades since. And now 'Nude' is so prevalent, you can't turn around in the cosmetic department without seeing it everywhere. Thank you, Kevyn Aucoin.



A selection of Ultima II The Nakeds lip colors.

Ultima II The Nakeds Eyeshadow #17 

 And who can forget Glowtion?
Revlon continued on with its own nude tradition in the 90s with The Fleshtones, which gave me a great lipstick called Deep Nude and a wonderful pale nude pink eyeshadow called Barefoot that I loved. (I think there was a soft beige one called Skin, as well.) When I learned that Barefoot was being discontinued, I bought all that our local Meijer store still had in stock. I still have 2 or 3 of them!


Revlon Fleshtone magazine ad


Later on, Revlon Skinlights was launched, and is currently in its second incarnation. The first round included various shades of glowy powders and sheer cream highlighters in small, flat rectangular palettes, in addition to shimmery liquids in pump bottles. These were all too soon discontinued. But the liquids were re-released in squeeze tubes, I assume due to popular demand and can still be found at drugstores and Walmart. But I recently saw them somewhere on clearance, so they may be on the way out again, not sure.

I could go on, but this post is long enough! Most (not all) new makeup that comes out today brings me some measure of déjà vu. Is that just because I'm older than dirt? Or does this happen to you, too? 


There's an orange No Comments or Comment button below each post; if you click on it, you can leave me a comment. 


Where to go to leave me a comment. Just click right there!
I'd love to hear about your makeup déjà vus! 

Till next time,

"There's nothing new under the sun--you just get a can of paint out." ~ Robert Plant

1 comment:

  1. I hope you get this comment Leslie! I had no idea Kevin Aquin started the nude makeup trend! I love learning about the nude trend through the years

    ReplyDelete