Saturday, January 7, 2017

Makeup Talk: Final Fling of 2016 - Part 2

In my last post, my hunt for the perfect gray eyeshadow palette was still in full swing, despite having created my beautiful 'Melissa55 Palette'. This is because I'm an extremist, so one thing is never quite enough...

In previous posts this past year, you may have gathered that I've no reservations about buying makeup off Ebay. I'm aware of the fake stuff being sold as genuine, so I'm always skeptical and cognizant of that. I've been very careful and very lucky in that regard and do my research before buying. Also I take care to buy from the highest rated sellers. Another reason I buy some of this stuff off Ebay is that I'm also drawn to products that are no longer available. I've no qualms about purchasing these things. I don't buy used, nor do I buy liquid or creams, which are no doubt way past the sell by. But most powders are good for quite a long time despite what some state. That's my belief, at any rate.

So it will come as no surprise, that on my quest for the quintessential gray eye palette, that I found the perfect thing on Ebay.

One night as I was searching, I googled 'gray eyeshadow palette'. Then commenced looking at the images that matched my query and followed the images back to their source.  As I scrolled down through all the pictures, I saw The Absolute Perfect One. Clicked on the image, which took me to Temptalia, probably my favorite makeup blog. (That girl is prolific, isn't she?) It was her blog post about the Bobbi Brown Chrome palette. Oh!! It was exactly what I was looking for. THIS was IT! Silvers, grays and taupes galore!

So I began searching, starting with the Bobbi Brown website (not there), moving on to all the retailers who carry Bobbi Brown. I could not find this palette anywhere. Back to Temptalia I went, retracing my steps. 'Ah! That explains everything! That blog post was from 2009!!' Well, that was just too bad, because that palette was exactly what I was looking for. I could have wept.

But the image of that palette had taken root in my mind and it wasn't long before I was obsessed about it. So a few days later...off I went to Ebay.

I was surprised to find four of these Chrome palettes. I mean, seriously, from 2009? And they were not selling cheap, either! It originally sold retail for $75.00. I scrolled through the listings: $69.95, $65.00, $49.99...and one up for bid with the current bid at $15.00! Now we're talkin'!

As mentioned before, I buy but rarely bid on Ebay. I usually filter my searches to U.S. Only, Buy It Now, and Free Shipping. (Yes, I realize the shipping is worked into the price but tell my brain that...the psychology works on me.) Anyway, I could not resist putting in a bid for that gleaming silver beauty even if I did know that it was going on eight years old! I didn't care! 

So I threw in a bid of $25.00, which raised the going rate to $20.50. Yes, I would very happily pay $20 or so for it (shipping was another $3), but again, I didn't care. Had to have it. The auction would be on for three more days. On the day the auction was to end, my husband suddenly decided we needed to run to Walmart... "Okay," I said, "But we have to be back no later than noon."  

We got home at noon, I fired up my computer. I still had about 20 minutes to go. I hurriedly put the groceries away and plopped down on the couch. I still had 5 minutes left. Worried that I'd be outbid at the last minute, I upped my bid, but there was no need. Nothing happened and I got the palette for the $20.50. HOORAY! Now I could relax and wait patiently for my new 'prize' to arrive.


Bobbi Brown Chrome Palette, circa 2009!
Just look at those perfect silvers and grays!

But as if that wasn't quite enough....a 'suggested' item came up on my Ebay page. (Don't you love how these websites 'read your mind' (i.e. track your cookies) and market like crazy to you?) It was the Bobbi Brown Greige Palette. Oh, yeah, I'd forgotten about that one...I'd looked at that palette on and off since it came out. But never sprang for it as most reviews were not that great. And most of all, because Bobbi Brown is so darn expensive! I can't just drop $75.00 willy-nilly on a single item like that...I'm retired now! But I digress.

At any rate, I did an Ebay search on Bobbi Brown Greige palettes....There were quite a few, but sadly, none in the $20 neighborhood. I did find one for bid in the $30 range though. And despite the mostly negative reviews I'd read on it, compulsively put in a bid. 'I must be deranged,' I thought. But I ended up winning that auction as well. So for less than $50 total, I had $150 (retail) of BB eyeshadow.


Bobbi Brown Greige Palette from 2015

As a side note, most reviews on Bobbi Brown shadows are not raving. Most reviewers are disappointed because they feel, for the price, they should be getting Lorac or Anastasia quality. The complaints are that the colors are often not very pigmented and patchy, or that some colors are too glittery, etc. I tend to mostly agree, but wonder if the consistency of the BB shadows is due to less oil and/or silicones in the formula and because it is so densely pressed? No idea...but I don't mind. Bobbi Brown does hold an alluring mystique for me. 

I must say I'm overwhelmingly thrilled with these two Ebay purchases! The Chrome is breathtakingly beautiful. One of the silvers has a slight lilac shift and one of the slightly deeper grays has a slight blue shift. What's that sound? ♫♪♬♩I think I hear angels singing! 

I confess my expectations of these were greatly exceeded! Chrome looks like it came right off the shelf; in no way does this look like it's from 2009...no odor (even in the lip product), completely pristine and in its original box. Ditto with the Greige! And it's way better than I anticipated. I'd thought it would be rather ho-hum. Both of these are stunning!☺☺☺

So now I have my custom 'Melissa55 Palette', the Bobbi Brown Chrome palette, and the BB Greige Palette. I think that may be enough grays, silvers and taupes to see me into the next life...or maybe not. Who knows what might lurk in the recesses of the mind of a makeup addict?

Till next time,

"Life isn't black and white. It's a million gray areas, don't you find?" ~ Ridley Scott 


No comments:

Post a Comment