Thursday, December 8, 2016

The Eyes Have It

Whoa, I'm really overdue for a new post! However, right around the time I posted last time, something happened. I realized my vision had suddenly severely diminished. 

As some of you know, the vision in my left eye is next to nil, due to the choroidal melanoma I was diagnosed with in 2006. It was subsequently treated with radiation, which left a great deal of scar tissue. In turn, that left me with only partial vision; a crescent of peripheral vision on the outer left of that eye. But I well know that I'm lucky to have that little sliver of vision, to have the eye as opposed to a prosthetic one, and simply to be alive at all.

My right eye has pretty much been doing all the work for the last ten years. Now suddenly, it was like someone had turned the lights down and I was unable to read or do any close work. Also, it was almost like there were spots or holes in my vision that made half the words on the page disappear. I had to start using a strong magnifying glass to be able to read the computer screen or books, or my e-reader.  

Worried, I made an appointment at a local eye clinic. They ran me through all sorts of tests and took a lot of pictures. Finally, the doctor came in, took a good look and told me I had suffered a CRVO. Central Retinal Vein Occlusion. 

There is an artery and a vein that enters the eye through the optic nerve. The vein had collapsed causing a hemorrhage in that eye. It also caused inflammation and swelling which impacted the retina and macula. That was what was causing the loss of vision. The doctor told me that essentially, a CRVO is like having a stroke, only in your eye instead of your brain.  In my case, it was caused by high blood pressure. He said if it had happened in my brain, it would have been a hemorrhagic stroke. I might very well not be here.


Goodbye Chips and Ice Cream. Farewell Salt and Sugar!

Naturally, that pronouncement put the fear of God in me. Immediately, as in the very second I got home, I became ultra determined to get my blood pressure down.

I have been on BP meds for years, but kept on smoking and eating whatever I wanted. I'm a salt and sugar addict, so you can imagine that my nutritional intake has been very poor. That is actually an understatement. My diet has been the worst!

In denial for years, I finally faced the fact that I've been committing slow suicide by eating the way I had been for so long, and for not pushing myself to move. My cardiovascular system is about as bad as it can get.

Doctors have been telling me for years what I ought to be doing and for years I've been resolutely ignoring them and doing whatever I wanted, with the exception of taking my meds as instructed. It's not that I thought they were wrong. No, like a little child, I just didn't want to

Now, having had a terrific scare, I have resolved to get proactive about my eating and exercise. Hopefully, it's not 'too little, too late'. 

So now, a lot of things are out. Sweets, salt, too much fat, too much carbohydrates, etc., etc. I also began walking again, something I haven't done much of in years. I must get the weight off and I must start exercising my heart and getting my blood pumping.

On a positive note, I'll have a series of injections of a drug that should halt and reverse most of the damage that has been done in my eye. The doctor believes I will recover most of my lost vision!

All I have left to say is: 
Never, never take your life for granted and don't ignore doctors who are trying to help you improve your health. Basically, don't be stupid like I was. 

Hello, Healthier Phase of Life, hello!

Till next time,

"Let my soul smile through my heart, and my heart smile through my eyes, that I may scatter rich smiles in sad hearts." ~ Paramahansa Yogananda





No comments:

Post a Comment