Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Makeup Talk: Oh, No! It's Holiday Launch Time!

Last holiday season, I managed to ignore most of the special releases that all the big cosmetic companies fling out there for us makeup junkies to go hysterical over. There are so doggone many of them anymore! It's impossible to know which you want most! So many launches and releases! It's torture! Ok, that's dramatic, but if you happen to be one of those junkies, you know exactly what I mean.

I have to admit that I rather miss the olden days when I thought I was the only crazy lady around with 250 lipsticks. Back then only a small handful of cosmetic brands put out special holiday sets and most of those were cologne/perfume gifts. This was pre-Sephora and pre-Ulta. If you wanted something fancy, you went to Dillard's, Macy's, Neiman's, Nordstrom's or other local department stores. 

When the holidays hit, I'd slink furtively into those stores like a coke addict about to rob the 7-11, hoping no one noticed the glazed eyes, parted lips panting breathlessly and trembling hands as I approached the makeup counters filled with the season's gift sets. Oh dear, did I gasp out loud when I saw the new Estee Lauder, Elizabeth Arden, Borghese or Ultima II blockbuster sets? Glancing surreptitiously from side to side, no, no one noticed a thing. "Whew! Calm down, calm down," I mentally told myself. "They have plenty. You're here. You can get something." 

These days we no longer have to physically shop for these delights. They can be had online with a few keystrokes. It does take a lot of the intense thrill out of it though. I do miss that, but it's better if I just restrict myself to computer images. They are much easier to dismiss and forget about than seeing them in real life. That physical experience of seeing, touching, smelling and testing those beauties on the back of my hand makes resisting them mightily difficult. 'Smellovision' is still way off in the future, so my wallet is much safer when I just view them in cyberspace. Their innate exquisiteness gets lost in translation when it's only a picture.

I could just ignore all this stuff altogether. In fact, I've been doing a pretty good job of it this year. Better than my past history at any rate. I've not been haunting Sephora's or Ulta's websites much at all. Till yesterday...
Some post came up on my Facebook feed that sparked some interest. I believe it was from Temptalia, an accurate name if I ever heard one. So off I go to her blog, read that post and out of curiosity, start scrolling down. 

WHAT! HOW DID I MISS THIS? THE LORAC MEGA PRO 3 IS OUT! How could I have not known they were going to release a third one? I immediately click over to Ulta. Of course, I must have it! Again, as with the last new Lorac palette, I missed the whole early release date for platinum members; I could have ordered it then. But since I'm still ticked off about the Ulta online ordering debacle in June, I've just been deleting their emails willy-nilly. Not to worry though, the palette will be available in stores early October. Hurray! Guess where I'll be going that morning?


Lorac Mega Pro 3
Image from Glamistic

Sadly, the whole scary thought that the LMP3 nearly slipped through my fingers now has me feverishly stalking the beauty store websites looking at literally hundreds of the other holiday treasures that are hitting the shelves. And that whole limited edition thing is working on me...hard. How many times have I kicked myself mentally for not grabbing something when I had the chance? I must be strong, I must be strong, I must be strong....

Till next time,

"Lead us not into temptation. Just tell us where it is; we'll find it." ~ Sam Levenson

"The only way to get rid of temptation is to yield to it... I can resist everything except temptation." ~ Oscar Wilde

"Most people would like to be delivered from temptation but would like it to keep in touch." ~ Robert Orben

No comments:

Post a Comment